Bird, Jacobsen & Stevens Legal Representation in Minnesota and Wisconsin
Contact Us For A Free Consultation

A DUI/DWI May Prevent You From Entering Canada

A DUI/DWI can have serious collateral consequences. A common question, particularly for those living in Minnesota, is whether a DUI/DWI will prevent you from entering Canada. This blog post explores that question. 

Each country has the ability to place conditions and restrictions on who may enter. Generally speaking, in order to visit Canada, you must

  1. have a valid travel document, such as a passport;
  2. be in good health;
  3. not have any criminal or immigration-related convictions or pending charges;
  4. convince an immigration officer that you have ties--such as a job, home, family--that will take you back to your home country after your visit;
  5. convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada after your visit; and
  6. have enough money for your stay.

There are other requirements that may be imposed as well.

For some, the biggest hurdle to clear is proving that you are not "criminally inadmissible," which generally means you must demonstrate to an immigration officer that you have not been convicted of or have pending charges for a crime. Canadian immigration officers learn about your background through checks of your criminal record as well as your driving record.

The list of crimes that can lead to one being deemed "criminally inadmissible" includes both minor and serious crimes, such as theft, assault, manslaughter, dangerous driving, and possession of or trafficking in drugs or controlled substances. Importantly, this list of crimes also includes driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.

There are several factors that bear on the question of whether you may be admitted into Canada despite the fact that you have been charged with or convicted of a disqualifying crime. Those factors include the nature of the crime, how long ago it was committed, and how you have behaved since. To be admitted despite a charge or conviction, you need to do one of the following:

  1. convince an immigration officer that you meet the legal definition of being "deemed rehabilitated;"
  2. apply and be approved for rehabilitation;
  3. receive a record suspension; or
  4. have a temporary resident permit.

For more information about being allowed into Canada despite a pending charge or conviction of a disqualifying offense, check out the Government of Canada's website regarding criminal inadmissibility or contact Grant Borgen at Bird, Jacobsen & Stevens, P.C. If you have been arrested for or charged with DUI/DWI, it is important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

Stray Voltage Litigation

Bird, Jacobsen & Stevens has represented many farmers suffering from stray voltage. We understand the law and the science and know how to take on large utilities in the courts.

Location Map

Contact Our Firm Today For A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Super Lawyers
  • Super Lawyers - Rising Stars
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Minnesota Lawyer Attorneys of the Year
  • American Board of Trial Advocates
  • MSBA | Minnesota State Bar Association

Rochester Office
300 3rd Avenue SE, Suite 305
Rochester, MN 55904

Phone: 507-218-2392
Phone: 507-218-2392
Fax: 507-282-7736
Rochester Law Office Map

Bloomington Office
2626 East 82nd Street
Suite 263
Bloomington, MN 55425

Phone: 507-218-2392
Fax: 507-282-7736
Map & Directions