Bird, Jacobsen & Stevens Legal Representation in Minnesota and Wisconsin
Contact Us For A Free Consultation

Who Pays My Medical Bills if I am Hurt in a Car Accident?

In Minnesota, we have a law called the "Minnesota No-Fault Statute." (Minn. Stat. 65B.44). This law provides that all licensed vehicles must carry insurance. The portion that pays your medical bills is called "personal injury protection" or more commonly known as "no-fault" benefits.

The minimum coverage any insurance company can offer is $20,000 for medical care and an additional $20,000 for wage loss/replacement services (Next blog post will be...WHO PAYS MY WAGE LOSS IF I AM IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND AM HURT?). This is true even if you are a pedestrian, a bicyclist, or a passenger in someone else's car.  Your auto insurance (or potentially someone else's) will be responsible as long as a car is involved.

If you own multiple vehicles, you should ask your insurance company to "stack" the coverage. This can double, triple, or even quadruple the amount of no-fault benefits available to you (2 cars-$40,000; 3 cars-$60,000; 4 cars-$80,000, etc.). Stacking is generally a smart thing to do. If you have not stacked your coverage, you should strongly consider talking to your agent and adding that additional coverage. Your agent is supposed to offer that coverage when they sold your  policy. (Minn. Stat. 65B.47, Subd. 7).

Unfortunately, as insurance companies go, no-fault benefits are often denied. Typically, the no-fault insurance carrier (usually your own insurance company) will send you to one of their select doctors that will question your need for medical treatment. The doctor's opinion is used to deny your claim. Fortunately, in Minnesota, we have a relatively streamlined process through the AAA (American Arbitration Association) that provides for a fairly quick and cheap resolution to disputes for no-fault benefits under $10,000. (See Obviously, it is important to challenge a denial earlier rather than later so you can take advantage of the arbitration process rather than have to start a lawsuit in district court if the amount is in excess of $10,000.

If you have been hurt in a car accident and have questions about claims that you can make against the other driver that caused the accident or any of the no-fault benefits as discussed above, please contact us by telephone or online. In our next blog post,  we will discuss wage loss when you are hurt in a car accident cannot work.

For more information on insurance coverage, click here for a prior blog on the subject.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

Stray Voltage Litigation

Bird, Jacobsen & Stevens has represented many farmers suffering from stray voltage. We understand the law and the science and know how to take on large utilities in the courts.

Location Map

Contact Our Firm Today For A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Super Lawyers
  • Super Lawyers - Rising Stars
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Minnesota Lawyer Attorneys of the Year
  • American Board of Trial Advocates
  • MSBA | Minnesota State Bar Association

Rochester Office
300 3rd Avenue SE, Suite 305
Rochester, MN 55904

Phone: 507-218-2392
Phone: 507-218-2392
Fax: 507-282-7736
Rochester Law Office Map

Bloomington Office
2626 East 82nd Street
Suite 263
Bloomington, MN 55425

Phone: 507-218-2392
Fax: 507-282-7736
Map & Directions