Bird, Jacobsen & Stevens Legal Representation in Minnesota and Wisconsin
Contact Us For A Free Consultation

Compensation Available in a Personal Injury Case: General Damages

In a previous post, we kicked off a blog series discussing the compensation available to someone who suffers an injury as a result of someone else's fault. The previous blog provided an overview of the United States tort system, discussed damages generally, and delved into the concept of special damages.

In this blog post, we focus on general damages. General damages compensate an injured person for non-monetary harm suffered as a result of someone else's fault. Examples include physical or emotional pain and suffering, loss of companionship, loss of consortium, disfigurement, loss of reputation, loss of physical or mental capacity, and loss of enjoyment of life. Like special damages, general damages can be past or future.

General damages are not easily quantifiable and are typically based on the particular facts of a case. In Minnesota, juries are given factors to consider in making this determination. These factors include

1. The type, extent, and severity of the injuries;

2. How painful the injuries were;

3. The treatment and pain involved in that treatment;

4. The length of time the injury or harm lasted or is likely to last; and

5. Any other factors the jury feels are relevant.

As discussed in the previous blog, the injured person has the burden of proving damages to a reasonable certainty.

It is also worthwhile to note that family members may have a claim for general damages in a personal injury case. For example, if your spouse is injured, you have a claim for general damages. The United States tort system understands that when a spouse is injured, the dynamics of the marriage can change dramatically. Injuries often restrict activities couples enjoy, such as hiking, biking, tennis, gardening, etc. The list goes on and on. If your spouse is injured, your claim for damages includes the loss of your spouse's services and companionship that you would have received in the usual course of married life. There are also circumstances where a parent can be compensated for injuries to their children.

If you or someone you know has been injured as a result of someone else's conduct, it is important to contact a lawyer right away. The attorneys at Bird, Jacobsen & Stevens have extensive experience handling personal injury claims and are always available for a free consultation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

Stray Voltage Litigation

Bird, Jacobsen & Stevens has represented many farmers suffering from stray voltage. We understand the law and the science and know how to take on large utilities in the courts.

Location Map

Contact Our Firm Today For A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Super Lawyers
  • Super Lawyers - Rising Stars
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Minnesota Lawyer Attorneys of the Year
  • American Board of Trial Advocates
  • MSBA | Minnesota State Bar Association

Rochester Office
300 3rd Avenue SE, Suite 305
Rochester, MN 55904

Phone: 507-218-2392
Phone: 507-218-2392
Fax: 507-282-7736
Rochester Law Office Map

Bloomington Office
2626 East 82nd Street
Suite 263
Bloomington, MN 55425

Phone: 507-218-2392
Fax: 507-282-7736
Map & Directions